Monday, June 15, 2009

Advice and Wisdom from a Maid of Honor

I am Kamil’s friend Kelly and I am delighted to have the pleasure of being her Maid of Honor. And here we are now, beginning your journey together as husband and wife.

As you embark on your adventure, I’d like to share some of my wisdom about marriage with you (limited as it may be, since Joe I recently reached the 3 year mark…). I am blessed with having the good fortune of garnering advice from my parents and my in laws – all of whom have shared long, fruitful marriages.

I’d like to share some of their advice with you. This advice was given to my husband and I on our wedding day and has already been helpful….

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens. A good marriage must be created and nurtured. It takes work and a lot of attention!

In marriage the little things are the big things.
[Seriously – when my husband cleans the house – that’s big! When I thank him for that – that’s big too!]

It is at no time taking the other for granted, the courtship should not end with the honeymoon, it should continue through the years. Try to remember this – schedule date nights, always make time for each other.

It is never being too old or hurried to hold hands.

It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day and to really, really mean it! not just in that muffled way that we tend to without thinking about it

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. It’s making a plan together and working as a team to reach your goals.

It is standing together facing the world and always, always, always having each other’s back.

It is forming a circle of love that gathers your two families together and in defining your own.

It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy.

It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.

It is not looking for perfection in each other, but cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humour.

It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.

It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow old with certain knowledge that you’ll be there for each other forever.

Kamil and John - My wish for you is that through the years your love for each other will so deepen and grow, that years from now you will look back on this day, your wedding day, as the day you loved each other the least.

Thanks Kelly for shaing this with us, it is great advice for a couple staring life together.

No comments: