Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Question: How do I obtain a marriage license in Newport R.I. ?

Answer: Marriage licenses are issued by the Newport City Clerk’s office to

1) when Newport is the official residence of the bride and the
wedding is to take place in Rhode Island;

2) when Newport is the official residence of the groom, the bride
is from out of state and the marriage is to take place in Rhode

3) when both the bride and groom are from out of state and the
marriage is to take place in the City of Newport.

The licensing process takes approximately thirty (30) minutes. The bride
and groom must appear together in the City Clerk’s office between the
hours of 8:30 am - 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday and complete an
official license application. Each is to present a certified copy of his/her
birth record from the city, town or state of birth as well as an official picture
ID (such as a driver’s license or military ID). Persons born out of the
country who do not have birth certificates may present passports.
If either party has been married before, a certified copy of a death
certificate or certified copy of a final divorce decree must be presented.
A decree that states the divorce is granted “Nisi”, that is, that the divorce
will become final or absolute after a certain number of days has elapsed,
cannot be accepted. The document must have a court entry date of the
final/absolute decree of divorce.

The fee for a marriage license is $24.00 and is valid for 90 days.
Note: City Clerks in Rhode Island cannot officiate at marriages. Couples
must make arrangements with a person in Rhode Island who, by Rhode
Island State Law, qualifies to join couples in marriage in a civil ceremony.
(Ordained clergy and elders in good standing need not be Rhode Island
residents, nor are they required to register in order to unite couples in
marriage.) In addition to the officiant, two witnesses age 18 or over must be
present at the marriage.

Newport City Hall 43 Broadway, Newport RI 02840 401- 846 - 9600

No comments: